Warehouse Logistics Professional (WLP) Certification
What is the IWLA WLP Program?
The International Warehouse Logistics Association recognizes the professional accomplishments through a certification program for logistics professionals – whether or not they work for an IWLA member company.
For many years, IWLA awarded the designation of Certified Logistics Professional to these high-achieving individuals. As the logistics and warehousing profession matures, the program is evolving to reflect varying levels of expertise in the industry. The IWLA Education Committee, the group of warehousing professionals who oversee IWLA’s offerings and the certification program, announce a new three-tiered program to replace the CLP program. (Please note that all existing CLP designees are automatically awarded the new CWLP designation.)
• Qualified Warehouse Logistics Professional (QWLP) – This level is especially for emerging logistics professionals who are ready to make a career in the industry. $250 application fee.
• Certified Warehouse Logistics Professional (CWLP) – This designation is for more seasoned individuals who have broad career experience and who have pursued additional professional education. $500 application fee.
• Executive Warehouse Logistics Professional (EWLP) – The EWLP program is reserved for individuals who have achieved officer-level success in their organizations. $1,000 application fee.
While each level of certification is achieved by satisfying distinct criteria, there are some common requirements:
• Each applicant must be “sponsored” by his or her IWLA warehouse member organization.
• Each applicant must submit a completed application for the requested level of certification
• Each applicant must submit a current résumé with the application.
• Each applicant must pay a non-refundable application fee for the corresponding level – applicant will be sent an invoice for application fee after initial application has been received, reviewed and accepted.
Here is an overview of the specific criteria to enter and complete each WLP certification level.
Qualified Warehouse Logistics Professional (QWLP)
Requirements for acceptance into program:
• One year of experience in the warehousing/logistics industry
• Requirements for completion of program ( all requirements must be completed within two years of acceptance into the program)
• IWLA Essentials of Warehousing Course
• Attend one of the following: IWLA Costs, Rates & RFP Responses Course; IWLA Safety & Risk Conference; IWLA Sales & Marketing Workshop; IWLA Technology & Operations Solutions Conference
• Two IWLA-sponsored webinars and/or online education courses
Certified Warehouse Logistics Professional (CWLP)
Requirements for acceptance into program:
• QWLP certification
• Two years of experience in the warehousing/logistics industry
• Two letters of recommendation from outside of the applicant’s company and/or industry
• Approval from IWLA Education Committee
Requirements for completion of program (all requirements must be completed within three years of acceptance into the program)
• Attend all of the following education events: IWLA Costs, Rates & RFP Responses Course; IWLA Sales & Marketing Workshop; IWLA Technology & Operations Solutions Conference (Note: If the applicant attended any of the above courses during QWLP certification, it is not necessary to attend again for this certification.)
• Attend the IWLA Convention & Expo
• Serve one year on an IWLA committee/council
In addition, attend any three events from the following:
1. IWLA-Canada’s Spring or Fall Conference
2. IWLA Legislative Fly-in
3. IWLA Warehouse Legal Practice Symposium
4. Two IWLA webinars/online education programs
5. Attend another industry-related or another IWLA-approved conference.
Executive Warehouse Logistics Professional (EWLP) **
Requirements of acceptance into program:
• Job title must be officer or equivalent level with current employer
• Two letters of recommendation
• CWLP certification (note: Education Committee can waive this requirement if applicant demonstrates equivalent industry knowledge)
• IWLA Executive Committee approval
Requirements for completion of program (all requirements must be completed within two years of acceptance into the program)
• Serve as chair/co-chair of an IWLA committee or council
• Serve as mentor (provide letter of recommendation from the mentee)
• Present at an IWLA-sponsored conference or webinar
• Participate in a leadership capacity outside of IWLA (this can be outside of warehousing industry)
• Demonstrate advanced knowledge of warehousing industry by speaking at non-IWLA warehousing-industry event (i.e., CSCMP, WERC) or author an industry book/article/white paper
• Demonstrate professional development commitment by participating in a Mastermind group or other continuing education and professional-development group approved by IWLA Executive Committee
An executive new to the warehousing industry or new to the executive position who would like to apply for a variance of EWLP certification requirements may submit a request in writing to the Education Committee. The Education Committee will submit this request to the IWLA Executive Committee for approval. The Executive Committee is responsible for communicating with the applicant to determine if the request will be granted. If the Executive Committee grants the applicant’s request, the Executive Committee is responsible for designing a program tailored to the applicant’s professional experience and needs. The Executive Committee and applicant are expected to develop a tailored program together. The request approval and expectations will be submitted to applicant in writing (the Education Committee must receive a copy of letter). It is expected that no more than 90 days pass from submission of request to either denial of request or if applicant receives approval, to designing the custom program.
For more information on IWLA’s WLP designation and how to qualify for it, contact IWLA's Education Department.
List of Current WLPs